Thursday, January 05, 2006

I Have the Cake But I Don't Want to Eat It

Okay, so tonight I have a date with the stale cake that's been around for a while. I never really liked it very much, and it frequently annoyed me that no one seemed to have the presence of mind to throw it away. So there it was, staring me in the face all this time. Then, out of nowhere, all of the sudden I find out that this old and somewhat stale cake has belonged to me all this time. And, had I known this was the case, and had I not been so neglectful and careless of this cake, perhaps I may have eaten it before it became so stale.

The problem with this idea, is of course the reasoning. Because, now that the time has passed, no amount of analyzing or wishing will make this cake any less stale. And then there's the issue of the new cake, which I still salivate over frequently but have not recently had a chance to taste. This cake seems to be very sweet, and available for me to eat, but it's rather a shy cake and doesn't call as often as I'd like. It's almost as if the new cake isn't aware that it's opportunity to be consumed by me is a limited thing. I'm moving to an entirely different bakery in about two days, as it were. So here is the major dilemma:

I never knew if I actually wanted the cake or not, because I didn't realize it was mine. Now that I have it, I'm still not sure that I want it. Plus, it's rather stale and a little bitter at this point. But it seems that if I don't take a bite of one of these pieces in the next short period of time, both are going to become superflouous anyway. So, do I take the cake? Do I swear off cake for the next six months? Or do I try to eat both and not get sick? Will they even have cake in Colerado?

4 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Your cake sounds like an interesting situation. And, consequently, I LOVE elephants. And boys whose names start with an "N" and end with an "athan".

5:02 PM  
Blogger Jokey Smurf said...

Man, I love your writing. So much deeper than conversations with you, heh heh. Also your blog makes me hungry. And are you already in Colorado? I'm back now. I want to play. Call me!

4:17 AM  
Blogger Dice said...

Old cake is buggin me.... That cake mopes man!!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Vandersun said...

I never would have left you, if you would have all just spooned with me more.

Muahahaah! Take it from me, everyone looks better when you're 400 miles away. Even cake looks better. All call me. Muah!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home